Monday, September 17, 2012

DIY Monday

Ok guys, I'm starting a new trend on this blog! Every Monday will be a DIY project! This should be easy with all the awesome holidays coming up and the changing seasons, we'll see where we're at come mid February!

For today's DIY project, I decided that we needed a wreath for the front door. It's so funny, as a kid I always thought they looked so strange and were so unbelievably unnecessary, but now, as an adult-ish person with my own home, I kinda really like them. 

I went to Michaels and scored BIG on all the supplies. Apparently everything is 50-70% off while it's in season??? It's only full price before season, cause that makes sense right?! Anyways, I went and purchased a stick wreath base, a couple bundles of "fall" looking flowers and leaves and a wooden letter "B" for Bell... cause that's our last name in case you weren't sure :)

Here are my selections:


First you want to start off by getting a pair of wire cutters... trust. I used scissors and was bending the stems back and forth at least 12 times before they broke apart. If you don't have wire cutters than I hope you have someone who is willing to rub your hands afterwards :) I don't... laaaame. So, start by cutting all the flowers off the bundle. Make sure you leave at least 5 inches on the stem, I just cut at the base, right before the individual stems go into a single wad. 



Next, start with your largest flower. Place it in 3 different spots throughout the wreath. I don't think that evens make very eye appealing patterns so I always go odd. It's a personality trait ;) You can double up in places with the larger flowers. I went with Star Gazer Lillis because they are my absolute favorite flower ever! This is what it should start to look like




After you have the base flowers set out you can decide how full you want your wreath. Some people love the "bigger is better" look, personally I like the rustic look of some of the wooded wreath showing through so I went a little more sparse on the flowers. I like the clean look of not having an overpowering amount of flowers. You can fill in flowers all around the wreath or choose to only do certain sections. Fill in the areas around the larger flowers with some smaller flowers and some leaves. I also did some faux berries and leaves in with my flowers.

If you decided to add some extra non-flower things to your wreath like a "welcome" sign or a letter, make sure you leave enough room without flowers or minimum amount of flowers in the area so you can place it. I simple took off the bottoms of the flower bundle stems and put them in the wreath to hold the letter in place. I'll probably end up putting some wire on it and tying it to the actual wreath, but the letter was a little wet from chalk board paint so I didn't want to mess with it too much.

Here is my final product!


I like it.... and it wasn't an obnoxious $27 like all the other wreaths in the store. Plus I still have some flowers left over for another DIY project for fall!

Happy Monday Ohana!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment