Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Butternut Curry Ravioli

As promised tonight I'm going to write about the delicious Butternut Curry Raviolis I made last night. They were seriously yum. I am a huge fan of winter squash, I love it all, I do not discriminate :) But I mainly love it as a sweet treat i.e. pumpkin pie, butternut squash with cinnamon, nutmeg and the works in any form. But since this blog is meant to challenge me with my skills of going outside my box I decided to make a savory item. It is as follows:

MAKE YOUR OWN DOUGH!!! Trust me you will thank me for it:

4 eggs to 1# flour (I do not use gluten free, as I explained before I love gluten in my pasta) 

Knead it until everything is incorporated and then knead it some more. You want to activate the gluten so last your pasta has some elasticity (another reason I don't make gluten free pasta) to it but not enough to bounce it :)

Wrap it in saran wrap or cover it another way, just don't let it chill in the open. 

For the filling:

1.5 pounds              Butternut Squash
1 clove                    Garlic Minced
1/2 each                  Yellow Onion (Large)
2 Tablespoons         Curry Powder (I used yellow cause I like it's flavor)
1 Teaspoon              Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon           Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon           Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon           Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup                   Coconut Milk

Set your oven to 450 Degrees and roast your butternut squash. I cut it up into 1 inch cubes and put a little EVOO and salt on them and it took about 35 minutes to get them to slide off the fork on their own. 



While your butternut is roasting sweat your onions and garlic in a pan and set to the side. Once your butternut squash comes off a fork without any resistance place it in a food processor with the rest of your ingredients and blend. Add your coconut milk in batches because, depending on how humid the air is where you live, you may need more or less. You want the consistency to be semi thick. Think pureed baby food. Not stiff but thicker than runny.

Now here is where you can be creative. Roll your pasta dough out, you literally want it to be paper thin, if it isn't it will be too doughy when you cook it and it just doesn't jive well with your mouth. You can shape the pasta however you wish. 
  • Agnolotti
  • Anolini
  • Cappelletti 
  • Casoncelli
  • Fagottini or Sacchetti
  • Pansotti
  • Ravioli 
  • Tortelli
  • Tortellini
  • Tortelloni
Here is a link to different shapes, what they look like and where they came from yada yada yada     

Depending on the shape you choose depends on how much filling you place inside. I would recommend only putting about a 1/2 Tablespoon inside each one.

Here is a picture from our pasta, enjoy :)    


Alright! That's it, I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe :) 

P.S. A funny story from today.  As I'm leaving work tonight I have my hands completely full and I manage to drop the tin of the cupcakes I made last night. Nathalie and I were able to pick them up but the frosting was not going anywhere... so now out front of the make-up store it looks like a dog did his business and the owner didn't pick it up :) ha I wonder how many people in Rhinebeck will make a fun comment (snarky comment) about that tomorrow :) I only wish I could have taken a picture it made my night

No comments:

Post a Comment