Sunday, September 9, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken

I LOVE my crock pot! Who came up with that thing... they're a genius. I know it's probably not safe and healthy for the environment (or my wallet) to leave something on all day, pulling from the electrical plug in my apartment, BUT I don't really care, because the fact that I can cook something in 6 hours without actually doing anything really makes me one happy girl!

The other night I decided I wanted chicken. Yeah, rotisserie chicken is good and all but there is nothing like a salt rubbed chicken slow cooking in nothing but heat and it's juices, ugh drool-a-thon in my mouth! So I went to the local Stop and Shop... that's the equivelant to King Soopers back home, and I bought me a raw whole chicken, guts and all. Well I didn't cook the guts, no one in this house would even think to touch those babies, but I did cook it on the bone!

So heres how it went down:

Rub the chicken generously with Kosher salt, I love the flavor of kosher salt. Put the chicken in the crock pot and cook it on high for about 3 hours. Be smart, temp the chicken before you take it out. It should be at at least 160 before you call it good. The carry over of the heat in the meat will take it to about 165 which is where you want it before you chow down on it. I cooked mine to about 155 because Im going to turn it into chicken enchiladas and I wanted to be done.

I put the chicken on at 6pm after I got home from work because I wanted to be able to test it at several different times to give you guys the best temp/time for cooking it. I'm sure if you wanted to leave it all day you could put it on low and let it go for about 6-7 hours. Here is what mine looked like afterwards


After the chicken was cooked I separated the meat into my KitchenAid and my bones, tendons and skin onto a different plate. I'm not a fan of chicken skin (although it is soo yummy) so I choose not to incorporate it in anything. I leave it on while cooking the chicken because the fat underneath it makes it extremely juicy :)



Using the hook attachment I shredded my chicken. 



So there you have it! Easy peasy shredded chicken that is so flavorful and easy to incorporate into any recipe (chicken tacos, chicken enchiladas, chicken chicken, etc.). Tomorrow the hubs and I are going to make GLUTEN free enchilada sauce and enchiladas. Yes, in case you have never read the label or made your own enchilada sauce, there is indeed flour in enchilada sauce. Say what?!?

 No worries, I'm here to show you how to eat yummy and healthy all in one :)



No comments:

Post a Comment